Disney’s Bambi, which celebrates its 75th anniversary this year, joins the Walt Disney Signature Collection! The Collection release includes a variety of new bonus material, including recordings of Walt Disney discussing the challenges and triumphs during the production of “Bambi;” deleted scenes and characters; stories and effects that “Bambi” had on the Studio, other films and artists; and much, much more. Additionally, the Digital HD release includes an exclusive, heartfelt feature on the incredible artist, Tyrus Wong, who inspired the film’s soft watercolor backgrounds and beautiful palette. Bambi arrives home on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on May 23, and on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand on June 6.
I was recently given the chance to fly out to LA again for the #PiratesLifeEvent and #BambiBluray event. One of the coolest things we got to do was to interview the original voices of Bambi and Thumper, Donnie Dunagan and Peter Behn. We also got to interview Paul Felix who is a Visual Development Artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios who was inspired by Tyrus Wong’s work on Bambi. I am sure everyone will agree that Bambi is one of the most treasured animated movies of all time so being given a chance to talk with the people who made it possible was just amazing to me. I love all the new extra features on the blu-ray which you can see below. And I love how much thought and work they put into making this 75th anniversary edition so special. I want my children to have the same wonder as I did. My oldest cried when he could tell Bambi’s mom was about to die. The littles were scared but they didnt anticipate the scene like he did because he had seen it years ago on VHS. Its like a whole new generation can appreciate Bambi and I appreciate that. I think its a great thing.
If you buy Bambi right now you can get a special reward and get a tank top with the artwork design of Paul Felix on the front! The offer is only good until July 31st, but you can get your Bambi Tank Top here!
The clips below showcase the early character designs and art styles that went into developing the “Bambi” we all know and love today. We also have some of Tyrus Wong’s art that inspired the backgrounds that gave “Bambi” its unique style.
Bambi | Bambi Effect
Bambi | Grasshopper Deleted Scene
BONUS MATERIAL (BLU-RAY & DIGITAL* HD) INCLUDES:
- THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
- STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
- DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
- DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
- BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
- OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
- CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
- DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
- THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
- STORY: TELLING THE TALE
- CHARACTERS: DRAWN TO NATURE
- ACTORS: GIVING VOICE TO ANIMALS
- ART DESIGN: IMPRESSIONS OF THE FOREST
- MUSIC: NATURE’S SYMPHONY
- HISTORY: BACK TO THE BEGINNING
- TRICK OF THE TRADE (Excerpt)
- INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
- THE OLD MILL: ANIMATED SHORT
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
- THE GOLDEN AGE
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer
ADORED ANIMATED CLASSIC “BAMBI” JOINS THE
HIGHLY COVETED WALT DISNEY SIGNATURE COLLECTION
“Bambi” arrives home on May 23 with new bonus features, including recordings of Walt Disney!
NEW YORK, April 29, 2017 — Today at the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival®, presented by AT&T, Walt Disney Studios announced the addition of “Bambi,” the endearing, timeless tale of a wide-eyed fawn, to the celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection.
“Bambi,” which celebrates its 75th anniversary this year, joins the Collection on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on May 23, and on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand on June 6. The Collection release includes a variety of new bonus material, including recordings of Walt Disney discussing the challenges and triumphs during the production of “Bambi;” deleted scenes and characters; stories and effects that “Bambi” had on the Studio, other films and artists; and much, much more. Additionally, the Digital HD release includes an exclusive, heartfelt feature on the incredible artist, Tyrus Wong, who inspired the film’s soft watercolor backgrounds and beautiful palette.
Designed to bring together visionaries across industries and diverse audiences to celebrate the power of storytelling, it is only fitting that the Tribeca Film Festival serves as the setting for this year’s announcement of upcoming additions to the Walt Disney Signature Collection. This collection includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, one of the great visionaries of the 20th century. This summer, “Bambi” will take its place in the collection alongside three other great achievements in storytelling, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Pinocchio.”
“Bambi” was released in 1942 during World War II and took over five years to make due to its exquisite hand-drawn artwork and attention to detail. Beloved by generations, “Bambi” holds the No. 3 spot on the American Film Institute’s “10 Top 10,” honoring the 10 greatest animated films of all time. The timeless tale features an adorable young deer named Bambi who explores the wonders and challenges of the woods with his playful pal Thumper, the lovable skunk Flower, and wise Friend Owl – and ultimately fulfills his destiny as prince of the forest.