Southwestern Chicken Recipe
I have been wanting to make a spicy dish for my husband lately. I can’t do too much in that way because of having my gallbladder out and I want to be able to eat dinner as well. I was sent a couple cans of awesome Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies and Chipotle Chilies to try out a new recipe so I decided I would try Southwestern Chicken. It is a bit different than the one my cousin makes but I think mine turned out better (don’t tell her that though). The new Del Monte Southwestern-Style Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes are the perfect way to spice up main dishes and snacking recipes!
Southwestern Chicken Recipe
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 8-10 boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cans diced Del Monte Southwestern-Style Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes I used the Green Chilies kind (you can also use 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes)
- 3 cups whole kernel corn fresh, canned or frozen (I used Del Monte canned)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add olive oil.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepperthen add to skillet. Make sure both sides of chicken are no longer pink, about 10 to 15 minutes. When chicken is cooked, remove to a large clean platter.
- While chicken is cooking, combine chopped onion, jalapenos, garlic, and celery in small bowl and set aside.
- Combine chopped tomatoes with corn kernels, lime juice, and chili powder in large bowl. Toss slightly.
- Add the onion and garlic mixture to the hot skillet; sauté until onion is tender or about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour tomato and corn mixture into the skillet; place chicken on top.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Can be garnished with large black olives slices like in the picture.
- Best served with rice (I used long grain & wild rice)
- Also, my husband ate his on a tortilla so it made for a great lunch the next day as well.
Before I served with long grain & wild rice, I placed it all in a serving dish and brought out the tortillas. I also got the Havarti Jalapeno Cheese out for my husband to have on his tortilla. Everyone else ate theirs on a plate.
35 thoughts on “Southwestern Chicken Recipe with Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies”
This looks great and I think that my guys would go for it. In addition to the chilies in the can I bet it's the lime juice that kicks it.
I like the Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry recipe
This sounds great but like you, I cannot eat the spicy food either with my gallbladder out. I love it but …can't do it. I love chicken anyway and this is a recipe I'd love to try
I'm not much of a cook but this looks simple and delicious. Can I pin it? I'll at least give it a shot.
My recent post Winn Dixie gift card giveaway!
I'd love for you to pin it! Or you can repin my pin of it http://pinterest.com/pin/95349717082858453/
I am always looking for ways to spruce up chicken recipes, since chicken is the staple of most of our dinners. My family loves spicy dishes, so I think this one will be a hit. Thanks for the recipe.
What a GREAT!!! recipe a must try!!!
Love the recipe. The Chipotle tomatoes would make a great variation.
looks great – aka you made me hungry right now 🙂
Looks great! And easy enough. Thanks for the meal idea!
This is a great recipe – love all of the ingredients!
And I have them all.
This really looks delicious and it sounds easy to make. My family would love this.
I love recipes that are simple and tasty. This one qualifies!
Love this chicken recipe, great to enjoy with steamed rice.
Looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe!
Great photos – this looks tasty and simple enough to make!
This Chili looks delicious
thats some juicy looking good stuff
Awesome dinner idea! Ill swap in tofu since im vegetarian but this sounds delicious!
i'd love to make the 10 min chili!
yummy! i'm going to try that because it looks so good.
That looks good but I'm doing low carb so no rice for me. Is it really spicy by itself?
It iwas pretty spicy but I did use two big jalapeños since my husband likes it very hot. So if you cut out the jalapeño and use a little less chili powder, I bet it wont be as spicy.
This recipe sounds really good, I love spicy foods. I think I would like to try making this and freezing it to see how well that would work.
this sounds like something my husband would love!!
This looks and sounds delicious.
I would really like to try this recipe for my family.
Okay I am seriously hungry now! That picture speaks a million words for how Delicious this is!
This recipe sounds delicious! I love spicy food!
that looks yummy! i may have to give it a try
This looks really delicious I am sure my family would enjoy this meal
I love when I find new recipes to try. yay!
I am a big fanof southwestern style foods. This recipe has my mouth watering!
ardy22 at earthlink dot net
Great recipe but I would add more cheese on top & serve with a dallop of lite sour cream!
That looks delicious!
I’ve made chicken so many ways, but not Southwestern style. This looks soo good I’m excited to try it!