Are you ready for bunny season? I see bunnies everywhere lately and I think they are all so adorable. I wanted to share a perfect easy Easter recipe for kids. These Bunny Face Sugar Cookies are simple to make and delicious to eat. I love kids craft recipes. Or you could just make these for yourself. No kids needed. Who doesn’t like a wiggly bunny nose? Well, except Anya on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This cookie recipe is easy and has step by step pictures on how to decorate. If you aren’t ready to make them now, PIN THEM FOR LATER
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter – room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 T flour all-purpose flour
ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES NEEDED
Wilton Comfort-Grip Bunny Cookie Cutter (or any bunny face one but I like Wilton)
1 cup white chocolate melts (like these Wilton 1911-1300 Candy Melts, Bright White)
Wilton orange and green decorating icing
24 Wilton large candy eyes
24 white chocolate melts
12 pink Jelly beans
3 Black licorice wheels
Black decorating gel (Wilton Black Gel Tube)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to distribute. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix on medium speed until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix to blend.
6. On low speed, add 1/4 of the flour mixture and mix until blended. Continue to add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until all is mixed in. If needed, scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure all flour is mixed.
7. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of flour on a hard surface. Place a large piece of dough on the hard surface and press down with your hands (or use a roller) to make it about 1/4 inch thick.
8. Using the bunny face cookie cutter, cut out bunny faces from the dough and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Repeat until all of the dough is used up.
10. Bake in 350° preheated oven for exactly 10 minutes (any longer and they will turn brown).
11. Let cookies cool in pans for 5 minutes.
12. Transfer cookies to wire racks to completely cool.
HOW TO DECORATE THE BUNNY FACE SUGAR COOKIES
1. Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper and set aside.
1. In a double boiler, melt 1 tablespoon solid shortening.
2. Add 1 cup white chocolate melts and stir occasionally until completely melted. Remove from heat. Let set for one minute.
3. Pour the melted chocolate on top of each cookie (I just used a Tablespoon), covering the entire top. Lay cookies on wax paper lined cookie sheets to “set” for at least 20 minutes.
4. Pour any remaining melted chocolate into a small microwave bowl to use later in the recipe.
5. Cut licorice wheels into 24 strips for the whiskers. (8 strips per wheel). Set aside.
6. Once cooled, pipe colored icing on the ears of each cookie.
7. Microwave the remaining chocolate from step 4 for 30-40 seconds until melted again. (It will have hardened during the downtime).
8. Dip the end of a toothpick into the melted chocolate and place on the back of both candy eyes. Gently press the candy eyes onto each cookie.
9. Dip the end of a toothpick into the melted chocolate and place on the back of two white chocolate melts. Press the 2 melts into each cookie, right underneath the set of eyes. Leave a 1/2 inch space between each for the nose.
10. Add about 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate between both white melts on the bunny face. Insert 4 licorice strips (2 on each side) into the melted chocolate and place a pink jelly bean on top for the whiskers and nose. Hold in place for 30 seconds so they adhere to the chocolate.
11. With the black decorating icing tube, pipe on the smile for each cookie.