A gentle massage on your face with a good night cream is the perfect way to end a hard day and should be part of your skincare routine. Cell renewal is much faster while you’re asleep, and you can leave your skin looking smooth and youthful if you use a good regenerist night cream. However, there are a few things you should bear in mind if you want to get the best results.
Picking the right cream
No matter how much money you spend on a cream or how qualitative it is, it won't do you any good if you don't pay attention to a few important factors before choosing it:
• Your age. Your skin obviously will have different needs when you're 50, for instance, compared to a woman in her early 30s.
• Your skin type. If your skin is oily, a rich night cream may actually affect it negatively rather than help it look its best. If it's dry, look for a product with a heavy cream base to get the nourishing you need.
• The list of ingredients. You have numerous choices in terms of ingredients, no matter your age or skin type, but what you should keep in mind is that you should avoid artificial fragrances and colorants. They don’t add any real benefit and can cause problems to sensitive skin.
Applying it properly
Applying the cream the right way is also essential if you want the best results:
• Ideally, you should put it on half an hour before bedtime — this ensures that the skin has time to absorb it, rather than your pillow.
• Cleanse your face well beforehand for maximum absorption. Use lukewarm water. If it's too hot, your skin will perspire, which obstructs absorption. If it's too cold, it will close your pores, blocking the cream's goodness.
• Use on damp skin, as it is considerably more permeable.
• Massage into the skin with circular motions and upward strokes, and stay away from the area around your eyes. Also, don't forget your neck needs a little love too!
Homemade night cream
You may find that quality regenerist night cream, although good and gentle to your skin, might be a bit harsh on your wallet. No worries! You can easily make your own, as there are numerous great DIY recipes out there.
For dry skin, homemade creams based on cocoa butter and almond oil can do wonders, whereas if your face is rather oily, a mix of olive oil, vinegar, water and white wax will make a great night cream! As for ladies with sensitive skin, an effective solution is making a cream out of blended apples, olive oil and rose water.
Whether you choose the DIY approach or go for a top-notch cosmetics brand, remember to carefully consider your skin's needs and apply the cream properly if you want to achieve the best results.